The specific objective of the social challenge “Secure, clean and efficient energy” (SC3) of Horizon 2020 is to make the transition to a reliable, affordable and competitive energy system, aimed at reducing dependence on fossil fuels, in times of increasing scarcity of resources, increased energy needs, and climate change.
In fact, by 2020 the European Union intends to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20% compared to 1990 levels, with a further 80-95% reduction in emissions by 2050.
Specific activities involve the following areas:
- Reduction of energy consumption and carbon emissions through intelligent and sustainable use
- Use of low-cost, low-carbon electricity
- Use of alternative fuels and mobile energy sources
- A single intelligent European electricity grid
- New knowledge and technologies
- Important decision-making processes and public commitment
- Market uptake of energy innovation – initiatives based on the “Intelligent Energy – Europe” program
At least 3 legal subjects belonging to a Member State or an associated country may participate.
The participation of a legal aubject belonging to a Member State or an associated country is permitted if:
- co-financing actions for research programs
- Support and Coordination actions
- where indicated by work programs or work plans
FINANCIAL ACTIONS: (Link)
The total budget available for this challenge is € 5.931 million.