The specific objective of “Secure societies – Protecting freedom and security of Europe and its citizens” (SC7) of Horizon 2020 is to increase the level of security and protection of European citizens and society, in order to protect political stability and well-being of European Union.
The Secure Societies challenge supports multidisciplinary research, the development and application of new technological solutions, which provide adequate response to the main threats, the need for global security for citizens, respecting the fundamental rights of the individual and in particular the right to privacy. Among the activities that can be financed and implemented there are those indicated by the Internal Security Strategy and the Cyber Security Strategy.
Specific activities refer to the following areas:
- Resilience of society with respect to natural disasters or accidents caused by man, supported by the development of innovative solutions for crisis management and infrastructure protection
- Fight against crime and terrorist activities, to be implemented through new tools in the field of forensic technologies and protection from explosives and harmful substances (CBRN)
- Improvement of border security, with greater protection and surveillance of maritime borders, including supply chain security, up to supporting EU external policies (including conflict prevention and peace building)
- Support for cyber security and e-services, through the secure exchange of information and a greater degree of personal data protection.
At least 3 legal entities belonging to a different Member State or associated country can participate.
The participation of a legal entity belonging to a Member State or an associated country is permitted if:
- co-financing actions for research programs
- support and coordination actions (CSA)
- is indicated by the work programs (Work Program)
FINANCIAL ACTIONS: (Link)
The total budget available for this challenge is € 1.695 million.