Academic qualifications issued by foreign universities have no legal value in Italy.
If the study programme has been completed abroad, graduate students can apply to have them recognized as Italian qualifications. The competence for academic recognition by equivalence is attributed to individual universities.
The University of Messina carries out the evaluation of foreign Higher Education qualifications within the framework of its autonomy, deciding, on a case by case basis, whether the qualifications under examination are equivalent to the Italian degrees selected by individual applicants, if they differ from them, and by which extent, or if they are not comparable in any way.
Italian and foreign citizens with educational qualifications from a foreign State or legally accredited university wishing to have these qualifications recognised in Italy for the purposes of completing an Italian university degree can apply to do so at the University of Messina.
Italian and foreign citizens with educational qualifications from a foreign State have to hand in the following documents to the Welcome Office located in: Via dei Verdi – Welcome Point building, 2nd floor – of the University of Messina:
- Application for Recognition of Foreign Academic Qualifications addressed to the Rector of the University of Messina;
- Original certificate of upper secondary school diploma required for admission to the university that issued the academic qualification;
- Original degree;
- Original of the certificate of university exams issued by the aforementioned university attesting: dates, marks, working hours or credits and locations of the exams if any of these were given in a university setting other than that of the issuer of the degree;
- Curriculum and syllabus of each learning activity completed officially stamped by the home university/Diploma Supplement;
- Declaration of Value (Dichiarazione di Valore) issued by the Italian Diplomatic and Consular Authorities;
- Two photographs (one of which is to be authenticated in the case of non-EU citizens residing abroad);
- Copy of passport, Italian codice fiscale (Italian national identification number) and residence permit (for non-EU citizens);
- € 150,00 payment proof (the fee form will be issued by the U. Op. Welcome Office at the time of the submission of the application).
The documents referred to in points 2), 3) and 4) must be accompanied by an official translation in Italian.
The documents mentioned in point 5) must be translated in English or Italian and can replaced by the Diploma Supplement issued by the home University.
Italian and foreign citizens with educational qualifications from a foreign State or legally accredited university wishing to have these qualifications recognised by the University of Messina have to pay a €150,00 fee.
Foreign academic qualifications of a study programme with restricted/limited access as established by MIUR if earned outside EU may be recognized upon passing an entry test (i.e. Medicine, Veterinary medicine, etc.).
Italian citizens, EU citizens non-EU citizens residing in Italy (as per article 26 of Law no. 189 of 30.07.2002) non-EU citizens with a foreign qualification can apply to the Welcome Office of the University of Messina from the 19th of March until the 16th of June of each year as long as the qualifications have already been confirmed as authentic by the Italian mission. Applications can be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The academic authorities of the University of Messina decide on applications on a case-by-case basis in light of the studies and exams completed abroad with the exception of the application of special bilateral agreements: in this case universities grant equivalence with an Italian degree on the basis of an equivalency table annexed to the agreement and any pre-established conditions in the same (e.g. integration of specific exams or theses). Recognition of a foreign degree by the university concerns study purposes only, while recognition of qualifications for the purposes of practising a profession is a different procedure and is carried out by the authorised ministries.
With regard to applications for recognition of academic qualifications in the healthcare sector, reference is made to article 50, paragraph 8, of DPR no. 394 of 31.08.1999 (regulation implementing the Consolidated Text on immigration and the condition of foreigners as per DL no. 286 of 25.07.1998): “Recognition of equivalence of academic qualifications in healthcare studies completed abroad, as well as admission to corresponding entrance examinations for diplomas, university degrees and certifications, with the partial or total dispensation of course examinations, depends on ascertainment of fulfilment of the quotas envisaged for each profession by article 3, paragraph 4 of the Consolidated Text, and to that end requires the official opinion of the Ministry of Health; a negative opinion disallows enrolment in professional associations or special lists for the exercise of the related professions on national soil and in countries of the European Union”.
For further information, please contact:
+39 090 676 8356/8517 – email@example.com